Re: Use of orgname or corpname within normal text

Hi Evan,

You wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a document where I'd like to markup company names / organisation
> names within a normal paragraph situation (as opposed to affiliations,
> etc).  I'd like to be able to also include other information, such as
> website details, etc.

I've found myself needing the same thing. If you have time, please file
a DocBook RFE so the TC can discuss it:

  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=384107&group_id=21935&func=browse

If not, please let me know -- I'll go ahead an file it if you want.

> Current approaches have used ulink to achieve this, but I'd prefer
> something more semantically correct (for later searching, etc)/
>
> Does anyone have suggestions as how to best mark this up within docbook ?

I think a lot of docs authors and authoring groups are probably using
their own ad-hoc ways of marking this up. I'm not that aware of what
others are using, but I've used things like
<phrase role="org.consortium">W3C</phrase>.

I'd just suggest that for now, you come up with a way that works for
your current need, then use it consistently.

If/when the DTD gets enhanced to add paragraph-level markup for org
names, and if you've used your ad-hoc markup for it in a consistent way,
you should be able to up-convert it to conform to the (enhanced) DTD.

  --Mike