Re: DocBook vs OpenOffice.org

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 13:30, Mark Johnson wrote:
> On Saturday, March 1, Florian Brunner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to DocBook. As far as I know there is a DocBook version
> > based on XML. I know OpenOffice.org a little bit which is based on
> > XML, too, and thus can be transformed to many other formats.
>
> > Can you tell me what would be the advantages of using DocBook
> > instead of OpenOffice.org?
>
> Hi Florian,
>
> There's an OpenOffice sub-project to provide DocBook Filters so that
> you can save your files as DocBook XML, thereby using OpenOffice as a DocBook
> editor. Presumably, you then get the benefits of both.

This isn't really the ability to "save" your files as DocBook XML.  It's
actually just an "export" feature, with no corresponding feature to
"import" from DocBook XML.  If you use this, you'll have to maintain
your document in OOo format, and export to DocBook XML format.  I'm not
sure how well this will track changes across versions.
	Greg