RE: DocBook vs OpenOffice.org

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to DocBook. As far as I know there is a DocBook
> version based on
> XML. I know OpenOffice.org a little bit which is based on
> XML, too, and thus can
> be transformed to many other formats. Can you tell me what
> would be the
> advantages of using DocBook instead of OpenOffice.org? What
> the disadvantages?

Hi Florian,

there's another project for OpenOffice to DocBook export:

http://www.chez.com/ebellot/ooo2sdbk/

But, as Gregory Leblanc already mentioned, you'll have to maintain
your document in OOo format, and export it to DocBook XML format. At this
point, all export tools have several limitations.

What format you choose for your work depends completely on the purpose. E.g.
you won't probably write a spreadsheet in DocBook or, on the other hand a
documentation needed as PDF and HTML Help with OpenOffice.

Regards
Gisbert Amm