Re: Re: marking up keycaps according to their semantics

Steinar Bang wrote:

  <keycombo action="simul">
    <keycap function="control"/>
    <keycap>h</keycap>
  </keycombo>

When I read Bob Stayton's suggestion earlier in the thread, I thought
    <keycap function="control">h</keycap>
was what he meant...?

I don't know what Bob meant, but the above is not a very clear way to describe the input action, IMHO.

The keycap element marks up the letter h, and the attribute is on that element; it is doesn't make much sense to say function="control"
would be an attribute of this keycap "h" (it isn't). XML attributes describe attributes of the element's meaning and optionally of it's content:

<rect color="red"/>

<filename class="headerfile">keyboard.h</filename>

But in your example

<keycap function="control">h</keycap>

the attribute is neither an attribute of the element, nor of it's content. The "h" doesn't or have the function "control".

But of course that would make it hard to express something like C-M-h.

Perhaps one could do something like this...?
    <keycap function="control;meta">h</keycap>

If you want to save typing, you could use some terse non-XML notation, then expand it to XML.

Here's the RFE:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=697374&group_id=21935&atid=384107

Tobi

-- http://www.pinkjuice.com/