Re: Multiple-language glossterms

/ "Florian G. Haas" <f dot g dot haas at gmx dot net> was heard to say:
| <glossterm>Net present value (German: <foreignphrase
| lang="de">Kapitalwert</foreignphrase></glossterm>
|
| anywhere in the text where I wanted a glossary reference (so the docbook-xsl
| stylesheets would be able to produce links in the text).

Or make the links explicit:

 <glossterm linkend="gloss-npv">Net present value ...</glossterm>

 <glossentry id="gloss-npv">...

| Another alternative is this:
|
|   <glossentry id="ge_npv">
|     <glossterm lang="en">Net present value</glossterm>
|     <acronym lang="en">NPV</acronym>
|     <glossdef>
|       <para>
|           <!-- Elaborate description of NPV follows. -->
|       </para>
|     </glossdef>
|   </glossentry>
|   <glossentry>
|     <glossterm lang="de">Kapitalwert</glossterm>
|     <glosssee otherterm="ge_npv"/>
|   </glossentry>
|
| .. which I also find ugly, as it doesn't really reflect that "net present
| value" and "Kapitalwert" are really the same thing.

Yeah. Well, the glosssee makes it pretty clear, but it's going to be tedious
for users of the glossary.

| What would help is something along these lines:
|
|   <glossentry>
|     <glossterm lang="en">Net present value</glossterm>
|     <glossterm lang="de">Kapitalwert</glossterm>
|     <acronym lang="en">NPV</acronym>
|     <glossdef>
|       <para>
|           <!-- Elaborate description of NPV follows. -->
|       </para>
|     </glossdef>
|   </glossentry>

How about:

   <glossentry>
     <glossterm>Net present value (German: <foreignphrase
      lang="de">Kapitalwert</foreignphrase></glossterm>
     <acronym lang="en">NPV</acronym>
     <glossdef>
       <para>
           <!-- Elaborate description of NPV follows. -->
       </para>
     </glossdef>
   </glossentry>

| Yet a glossentry only allows one child glossterm (although it does allow
| multiple glossdefs, so multi-language definitions of one single-language
| glossary term are OK). What's the reasoning behind this; what would be a good
| way to resolve the issue described using the present DTD? Or would this
| warrant an RFE?

I no longer recall why multiple glossdefs are allowed. Probably so
that they could be written for different audiences or security levels
or something.

- --
Norman Walsh <ndw at nwalsh dot com>      | All our foes are mortal.--Valéry
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ |
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee |