Re: [docbook] strict versus transitional XHTML tables [was: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 Mar 2003]

Paul Grosso wrote:

I'm generally a fan of separating format from content too.

It's the best strategy in most scenarios, yes. Mixing them without a real reason is almost never a good idea.

But tables are by definition presentational.

I disagree. Tabular data marked up as table with purely structural and semantic markup makes a lot of sense, and is usable, and can be accessible.

I mean, if
you're going to be black and white, you should argue against
table markup of any kind.

I can't follow your logic here, at all.

As it stands, the XHTML strict table model includes attributes
for both vertical and horizontal cell alignment (as just one
example), so it's hard to be black and white here. Given how
much presentation XHTML strict already includes, I'm arguing that making users use role="glump" instead of bgcolor="green" does more harm than good.

What harm does it do?

td.glump {background-color: green}

seems very fine to me. What's the requirement for <td bgcolor="green"/> in either DocBook or XHTML?

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/