Re: XHTML tables

Norman Walsh wrote:

|  > | Steve Cogorno   N
|  > | Paul Grosso     Y
|  > | Dick Hamilton   Y
|  > | Nancy Harrison  Y
|  > | Scott Hudson    Y
|  > | Mark Johnson    Y (with reservations)
|  > | Bob Stayton     Y
|  > | Norman Walsh    abstain
|
| Wow! This is great news. I'll implement it right away :) If I come
| across any issues, I'll post them.

That was a straw poll.

I'm (and was) aware of the fact that the decision has not yet been finalised. But the fact that six of eight members of the TC are in favor of XHTML tables is very good news for me and many others.

I see the poll as a draft of a final decision, and IMHO it makes sense to work with drafts (as drafts, no worries), in order to collect experience with the change, especially in respect to the aspects of authoring, styling, tools, and implementation.

We'll be talking about it some more next month,

That's great! I'm looking forward to the decision of the TC.

when we will consider the strict vs transitional issue.

I'd use (a subset of) the strict subset anyways, so I wouldn't miss anything either way.
But going with Transitional is not necessary AFAICS, and would send the wrong signal to authors IMHO. It would offer them some convenience today, but can cause some trouble in the long run.

Tobi

-- http://www.pinkjuice.com/