Re: [docbook] Re: XHTML tables; examples

Jirka Kosek wrote:

[...]
<section>
<title>Languages</title>
    summary="This table charts some programming languages,
    and lists their notation, main paradigm, notation, and domain.">
    <caption>My favourite programming languages.</caption>

Yes.

HTML tables guys, you don't mean this really seriously? You are
proposing that some tables will have title specified in <title> and
others in <caption>?

The title above is the title of the section, not of the table (as should be obvious). It's just an example; there could be content between the section title and the table.

caption is not a title element.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.2
"When present, the CAPTION element's text should describe the nature of the table."

Headings/titles in XHTML are handled via h1-h6. In XHTML you could write

<h2>Languages</h2>
<caption>My favourite programming languages.</caption>

This will make DocBook very inconsistent. All
elements will have title specified in <title> and only tables (when used
HTML ones) will use <caption>.

caption is not a title, but a description. You can add a title if you want, via the DocBook element named title.

I can understand you arguments for inclusion of HTML table model,

This is great!

but I
think that drawbacks of this solution will outweigh benefits.

This one I can't see.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/