Re: [docbook] Task Markup (delinquent action item)

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Dave Pawson wrote:

> At 12:13 20/05/2003 -0500, Jeff Biss wrote:
> >Alright, I may have missed this in previous emails to this list, but what
> >is the difference between the proposed <task> and the existing
> ><procedure>? A task can be presented easily as a procedure, I use this
> >element for this purpose.
> >
> >If I am off-base you can tell me to shut up.
>
> I follow/obey a procedure,
> I execute/carry out a task?

another perspective (which may contribute nothing to the discussion) --
i *give* you a task to perform; you might accomplish this task by
*following* a procedure.

and as i think about it, perhaps the word "task" is not the right
one for what's being proposed.  i've always felt that a "task" is
simply a high-level description of what is to be done, regardless
of how one went about it.

for example, as one of hercules' labors, he was given the task
of cleaning out the royal stables.  note that no one told him
*how*, it's just the task that was assigned to him.

he did it in a clever way, which was simply his way of accomplishing
that task.

rday

p.s.  i'm deathly ill with a massive head cold.  that's my excuse
for incoherency.