Re: [docbook] Ruminations on the future of DocBook

Hi,

Le jeudi 29 mai 2003 à 18:34 -0500, Jeff Biss a écrit :
[...]

> For example why have <note>,
> been used with the differences being made with role:

> The same could have been done with sections: <section>This is just a
> section</section> or
> <section role=numbered>This section gets a number.</section>
>
> I know that this is water under the bridge (especially considering the
> need to support existing documents), and my not simplify things, but
> with my limited experience with DTDs it seems that it may provide some
> way of simplifying the structure while allowing the complexity to be
> handled through the use of attributes.

I would like to add a few words about your suggestion. As far as I know,
a lot of attributes like role=blabla are not always displayed or
considered.

I kown that this problem depends of the stylesheet, but I believe that a
lot of docbook's users are not friendly with DSSSL/XSL stylesheets, or
do not want to learn how to modify stylesheets.

The syntax itself (the DTD) is very comprehensive, the most difficult
aspect, is the rendering. Don't you agree with that ?

Cheers,
--
Pierre Machard
B906 A53F 84E0 49B6 6CF7  82C2 B3A0 2D66 2370 6F87