Re: [docbook] Ruminations on the future of DocBook

Steven,

>From my experience people have a problem with properly applying tags from stylesheets even when directed to use a style guide that dictates what to use and where to use it. I am NOT proposing that the note/tip/etc elements be replaced. I am merely using them as an example where I see that element quatity reduction could have been applied as I see it was done in the <itemizedlist> element. A user only has to learn the <itemizedlist> to create bulletized lists, not a larger quantity of specifically named elements for each type of bullet a user may desire. The writer can leave the default or change the attribute or stylesheet to get  the desired result.

This doesn't seem to be a processing problem because the DTD structure would still show where a certain element can be used and what attributes are allowed. The allowed attribute values, such as those for "type" for <bibliorelation>, are delimited in the DTD and appear easier to add to/delete from than adding another element.

As I see it, the point is not to simplify processing but to simplify the use of elements by writers. This can be done in a number of ways going forward. I think, perhaps incorrectly, that the structure is affected less by attributes than by elements.

NOTE:
I am learning XML, mostly by trial and error while using the DocBook and referencing the DTD documentation. I could very well be wrong!

Jeff Biss

Steven Cogorno wrote:
Jeff Biss said:
Michael,

I understand what you're saying but I am talking about the hierarchy of
the docBook. There could be just one element that would have a default
attribute unless it is provided with an override. The complexity would
be shifted from the elements to the attributes. This may not be an
answer for every element but at the moment there is such a reduction.

And what advantage does this give?

Chaging warning and note to a single element with an attribute does nothing
to simply the processing. What it does do is prevent orgaizations from
customizing the DTD to restrict where one or the other might appear.

Just as Norm was not speaking for his employer, I am not officially
representing Sun Microsystems in this message.

I think it's important to recognize the extensive investments many companies
have made to implement DocBook and DocBook-based DTDs. I estimate that my
department (not Sun as a whole) has spent ten million dollars developing and
supporting our documentation tools in the eight years we've been using
DocBook. We produce over 100,000 pages of content a year. We have gigabytes
of structured documentation.

I suspect management would be extremely reluctant to adopt such fundamental
changes that would significantly de-leverage the existing investmest.

Steve Cogorno
Sun Microsystems