Re: [docbook] Managing translations

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 06:37:57PM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:

> [ Please CC replies to me. ]
>
> Hi, one of the Apache Rivet users just supplied us with a complete
> translation of the documentation in Russian.  Wow!  As happy as I am
> to have received this donation, I'm now faced with learning how to
> manage it as quick as possible.  For instance:
>
> 1) How to attempt to keep the two files coordinated in some way?

A revision control system like CVS is essential.
You must be able to record author comments regarding editorial
changes of the English files to know if they require
updating in other languages.  Noting that a file's
modification date has changed is not enough information,
since rearranging a line break will generate a diff.

Also, you can record which version of an English file was
sent to translation. And when the Russian file comes back,
you can record in its comment
which English version it was based on.

> 2) Maybe this falls a bit outside the scope of this list, but... how
>    do I go about automatically generating properly named HTML files
>    (introduction.ru_UTF.html or whatever it is)?  I use xsltproc.

If you want all of your Russian HTML files to be named
*.ru_UTF.html, then set the stylesheet parameter
html.ext to ".ru_UTF.html" at runtime, and set
use.id.as.filename to 1.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com