[docbook] biblio database duplicate id in sets

Hello, I am new to DocBook; please bear with me. I am looking for some
help using Bibliography databases while processing a set of books. Using
Bob Stayton's book, DocBook XSL: The Complete Guide, chapter 12,
Bibliographies as a guide, I have sucessfully setup a "bibliographic
database" where the bibliography of a single book uses empty bibliomixed
tags with ids matching a biblioentry in the bibliographic database. I
set the bibliography.collection param to point to the master
bibliography xml file during the build.

Everything works when processing a single book. However, when I process
a *set* of books where one or more books' bibliographies happen to have
a bibliomixed element with the same id (to reference the biblioentry in
the bibliographic database),

1) the set itself will not validate because of "duplicate IDs" (using
xmllint) and

2) while chunking the set proceeded without error, Fop processing
stopped dead with an error when it discovered duplicate IDs in the fo
file (using xsltproc -> fo and Fop -> pdf).

I like the "bibliographic database" concept, but what I am missing to
get this to work with sets? Am I limited to processing only at the book
level?  Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Gene Hovey