Re: [docbook] Eeeek! My Umlauts have vanished!

Scot W. Stevenson wrote:

file encoding and setting in stylesheet do not match:
frog.xml: ISO-8859-1
suse-html.dsl: suse-html.dsl:14:     ("content" "text/html; charset=UTF-8")))

Which I think means that SuSE fooled around with their configuration files and broke something; the README doesn't mention anything, though.

AFAIK this is problem in Jade/OpenJade. Jade forces you to use same encoding for input and for output. You must either change encoding of your XML files to UTF-8, or modify suse-html.dsl and Jade environment (by command-line switch or SP_ENCODING) to change output encoding to ISO-8859-1.

If you can, I would recommend you to use XSL stylesheets for getting HTML from DocBook. Encoding of input and output can be different here and you will get better HTML code faster; XSL stylesheets also support more features than DSSSL ones.

Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz