Re: [docbook] Re: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 20May 2003

Norman Walsh wrote:

| But SGML has no namespaces AFAIK. I think instead of
|    <sgmltag namespace="http://foobar";>...
| I'd like to see
|    <xmltag namespace="http://foobar";>...
| or
|    <elementname namespace="http://foobar";>...

Yes, we should have added xmltag or renamed sgmltag years ago. But we
didn't. And that's a separate RFE :-)

I was reading XML-REC yesterday to refresh it in my memory and it reminded me this "xmltag" issue...

Unfortunatelly, "xmltag" is not valid name for element according to the XML Recommendation:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml.html#sec-common-syn

Definition: A Name is a token beginning with a letter or one of a few punctuation characters, and continuing with letters, digits, hyphens, underscores, colons, or full stops, together known as name characters.] Names beginning with the string "xml", or any string which would match (('X'|'x') ('M'|'m') ('L'|'l')), are reserved for standardization in this or future versions of this specification

And Name token is one used in productin rule which constructs element's start tag and empty elements:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml.html#NT-STag

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml.html#NT-EmptyElemTag

I'm personally OK with "sgmltag" element name, but if there is need for something more XML related, different name must be chosen: mltag, tagxml, tag?

Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz