Re: [docbook] How to format a check-list like output.

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 05:10:19AM +0100, Philippe CHARLIER wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am quite new to docbook but obtaining usefull results.
> I would like to use it as a main documentation tool but for that
> purpose, I need absolutely the following :
>
> 1. Output in html, pdf and eventually rtf.
> 2. Normal text segmentation with sections, paragraphs, lists (bulletted
> or numbered), ...
> 3. Correct rendering of complex tables.
> 4. A way to render "checklists".
>
> Point 1 : OK, just didn't manage to get rtf for the moment (but it is
> not a "must have" for me).
> Point 2 : more than perfect.
> Point 3 : I get unperfect but usable results (still investigating).
>
> Point 4 : No solution found, reason for this mail.
>
> What I hear by "check-list" is something like this :

> ENG ANTI ICE ................................. AS RQRD
>  If icing conditions description text blah blah descri
>  ption text blah blah description text blah blah descr
>  iption text blah blah
>
> WING ANTI ICE ................................ AS RQRD
>
> APU MASTER switch (if APU not required) .......... OFF
>
> ANNOUNCE ....................... "CLEAR TO DISCONNECT"
>
> This consists (in bold style) of an item (left part), an action on this
> item (right part) and an optional decription of the action.
>
> Left parts are aligned left.
> Right parts are aligned right.
>
> Left and right part are joined by a serie of dot (or any other mean).
>
> The description is in smaller font size, with small vertical space
> between it and the action it describes. And indented to the right.
>
> I tried to get this kind of output using the docbook elements but
> without results.
> A table didn't help.

You have two issues here.  One is how to mark up
your information, and the other is how to format it.

For markup, I would suggest segmentedlist.  That element
is often used for fielded data that is not necessarily
formatted as a table.  You would use a seglistitem for
each of your "rows", with seg elements in it for each of
the left, right, and description pieces.  You could skip
the segtitles, since they are optional.

For formatting, you will need to write a customization
since there is no such feature in the Docbook stylesheets,
XSL or DSSSL.  You could add a role="checklist" to
your segmentedlist elements in your documents, and the
stylesheet would use that attribute to trigger special
handling of those segmentedlists.

If you decide to pursue that, You should look at how
tables of contents are handled in docbook to see how to
format with left, right, and leader dots in print output.
The optional description would be a separate block
below the leader dots.

For HTML output, which doesn't have leader dots, I guess
you would have to use an empty something with a border
with a border-style of "dotted"?  Maybe someone else
has a suggestion?

                                            email: bobs@sco.com