Re: [docbook] theorems and similar things

Am Dienstag, 14. September 2004 18:10 schrieb maria jones:
> On Monday 13 September 2004 16:17, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > how do I enter theorems, lemmas, proofs and definitions in DocBook?
> > Except for the definitions, all these things shall be numbered
> > automatically whereas different numbering schemes shall be available.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Wolfgang
>
> Utilize the orderedlist element.

> [...]

Hello,

I don't see why orderedlist should be appropriate for theorems.  An
orderedlist element usually produces text like this:

    1. some text
    2. more text

What I want is this:

    Theorem 5 (Fermat)  If n is a positive whole number...

Thereby, "Theorem 3.5 (Fermat)" should be set in bold font or similar.

Theorems usually don't occur consecutively but normally interleaved with other
text.  Their number often consists of the chapter number and a number which
is unique in the respective chapter.  If no chapters are used, the chapter
number won't be present.

These things are all very different from ordered lists.

Is it really true that DocBook doesn't provide adequate handling of theorems?

Wolfgang