Re: [docbook] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 15 September2004

Elliotte Harold wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "optional". I assume you mean that in
the DTD this would be declared as #IMPLIED? If so, I would suggest
that this be required for verbatim elements, with a  default value of
"preserve".

I think that we didn't defined default value because the best practise in these times is to consider schema as a tool solely used for validation not as a tool that can modify infoset of the document. This approach is marketed by Relax NG for example. And because the next generation of DocBook will be primary defined in RNG that can't convey default attribute values it would cause compatibility problems if we would use attribute defaulting just for some releases of DocBook schema.

This would assist any generic processing tools that don't have
specific knowledge of DocBook, especially formatting tools.

Good point. OTOH I can hardly imagine formatting toolchain that will be able to process DocBook in a reasonable way without specific knowledge of DocBook. Treatment of whitespaces can be specified in a stylesheet and most processing tools (editors, converters and formatters) are driven by such stylesheets.

Jirka