[docbook] Re: DocBook architecture: HTML Forms, HTML Tables, EBNF and MathML

/ "Christian Roth" <roth@infinity-loop.de> was heard to say:
| 4. It is not possible to have two or more modules of HTML Forms, EBNF and
| MathML at the same time in a DocBook document in an interoperable
| fashion, as for each of these, the PUBLIC identifier is different
| (namely: "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook HTML Forms Module V1.2b1//EN", "-//OASIS/
| /DTD DocBook EBNF Module V1.2b1//EN" and "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook MathML
| Module V1.1b1//EN" resp.).

I wonder if we should have an "includes everything" public identifier?

| 5. It is not possible to use one of those modules with arbitrary versions
| of the basic DocBook DTD, since the various versions are hard-linked to
| specific versions of the basic DocBook DTD (and only one version of each
| is actually a definite release; the others are betas or CRs).

Right. We haven't done a very good job of providing corresponding
releases for each module, but that's a bug in the process.

In order to make sure that the markup works, you need to use the right
version of the extension.

| If my understanding is correct, how should a general-purpose tool
| generate conforming DocBook output that in one single document may
| combine all modules of above, specifically: HTML Forms, MathML and HTML
| Forms - preferably in DocBook 4.3 or (better yet due to HTML table
| nesting) DocBook 4.4?
|
| How should/must the DOCTYPE declaration be formed for such a document so
| that it can be inter-operably be used on different DocBook processing
| systems (and will be accepted e.g. by the DocBook XSLs)?

Invent an includes everything FPI, I suppose.

In DocBook NG, I've sort of left all these modules "turned on" by
default. We'll have to work this out eventually. Maybe the DSDL
Namespace Routing Language will help. (Except that we haven't
generally put the markup for these modules in different namespaces.)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Next to knowing when to seize an
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | opportunity, the most important
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | thing in life is to know when to