[docbook] Re: DocBook Annotations

/ Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> was heard to say:
[...]
| annotation
| ----------
|
| annotation - a comment about, or explanation of, an element
|
| Processing expectations
| -----------------------
|
| An annotation contains a comment, explanation, or other description of
| an element. Annotations are not intended to be rendered in the normal
| flow of the text. In an interactive environment, they may be rendered
| as links or popups. In a non-interactive environment such as
| traditional printed media, they may be rendered as marginalia, end
| notes, footnotes, or even be suppressed entirely.
|
| Examples
| --------
|
| <para>Modern browsers display acronym expansions and link titles as
| â<phrase>tool tips<annotation>
| <title>Tool Tips</title>
| <para>A tool tip is a word or short phrase displayed automatically by
| an application when the user hovers the mouse over some component in the

Paul and I were talking about this earlier today and we kicked around
another possibility. This may be along the same lines as what John
Clark proposed.

We could instead do this:

<info>
<annotation xml:id="anot.tooltip">
<title>Tool Tips</title>
<para>A tool tip is a word or short phrase displayed automatically by
an application when the user hovers the mouse over some component in the
user interface.</para></annotation>
</info>
<para>Modern browsers display acronym expansions and link titles as

This moves the annotation out of line and allows more than one element
to point to it. (annotations is an IDREFS, though then folks will
wonder if xlink:href works there...)

If we don't use ID/IDREFS, we're going to need to add annotationref,
I'm afraid.

Pros: Looks less like footnote.
      Removes the semantic that it applies to its container.
      Allows the same element to apply to multiple elements

Cons: Authors can't put annotations near where they're used.
      Less control over where/how the formatting occurs,
         (though I suppose <anchor annotations=""/> could work around that)
      Requires annotationref to apply the same annotation to multiple elements

*shrug*

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Everything should be made as
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | simple as possible, but no simpler.
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee |