Re: [docbook] java 1.5 and xsltc and endorsed stuff.

Hi Dave,
Here's my understanding.  Sun realized that putting the Apache Xalan classes
in 1.4 was a mistake because those classes were still under development and
the built-in versions conflicted with any updated jar file that people
installed from the Apache site.  In Java 1.5, they moved the bundled Xalan
under the com.sun class tree so they no longer conflicted with the
org.apache classes from Apache And Sun set up the internal XML programming
classes (JAXP) to  use those internal classes, including the xsltc stuff.

So on 1.5 you can download the latest Xalan and Xerces from Apache, put the
jar files in your CLASSPATH, and just use them without conflict if you
specify an org.apache class as your main.  I use Make, and I have had no
conflicts with the bundled xsltc stuff.

But an Ant task may draw on the bundled classes, and that is where the
conflict may arise.  I don't know enough about Ant to sort that out because
I don't use it much, so perhaps there is a definitive answer for getting Ant
to work properly on 1.5.  Perhaps it is just a matter of setting the
CLASSPATH right.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
DocBook Consulting