RE: [docbook] DocBook and Publishing Software

XMetaL is one WYSIWYG XML editor, Serna is another. You don't need the
latter to view the code from the former, and you don't have to become a
programmer to use either of them. But it is likely that you need a
sysadmin/"super user" person who is in charge of installation, stylesheets,
support, configuration, and more (you probably need that for any publishing
solution).

For editing, I like Emacs/nXML myself. The Java-based oXygen is nice too.

For more views on XML publishing, search/browse the archives of xml-doc:

Here is a fairly recent survey of XML editors:
http://ahds.ac.uk/creating/information-papers/xml-editors/

This site has a lot of information about editors, content management
solutions, etc:
http://xmlsoftware.com/

/MJ