RE: [docbook] Amended DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 20 April 2005

Could you elaborate a bit on

"8.  DocBook namespaces.

A DocBook namespace is needed for version 5.  We want a stable,
nonchanging name.  The Committee agreed that
it would apply to the family of DocBook
schemas, including Simplified DocBook and customizations.
The name would not contain a version number."

So what would be the semantics of this DocBook namespace?
Given that "it would apply to the family of DocBook schemas"
(dare I read architectural form?), there's room for something
that asserts the applicability of a *specific* member of the
family to a document or parts of a document. Lots of application,
e.g. editors, are going to implement each their own mechanism
of asserting document types; some already do.

Document type versioning is inherently hard. Last time
this perma-thread popped up here was

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200309/msg00054.html

Another discussion:

  http://relaxng.org/pipermail/relaxng-user/2003-October/000055.html

I know about ongoing work in ISO/IEC 19757 http://dsdl.org/, but I
seem to miss the magic that will connect the pieces.

Kind regards
Peter Ring

<snip />