Re: [docbook] Re: A complex case of profiling

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

But the profiling system, as documented in http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Profiling.html does not work
because:

1) it does not allow negated options like no_idn above.

I still don't see where your problem is. What prevents you from specifying condition="no_idn"?

If you will call stylesheets with profile.condition=no_idn you will not get section marked as condition="idn"

2) it does not allow to combine options (say a sentence mus appear
only if "registrars" and "idn") although I may simply use nested
<phrases> with conditions.

You can assign multiple profiles to single element and you can also profile for multiple values:

<phrase condition="idn;registrars">...</phrase>

This sentence will get to the output only if profile.condition will contain value "idn", "registrars" or "idn;registrars". It means that multiple values in one profiling attribute are treated as disjunction (logical *or*). If you need conjuction (logical *and*) then you must use separate profiling attributes:

<phrase condition="idn" role="registrars">...</phrase>

During processing you will then use parameters profile.condition=idn and profile.role=registrars.

As you can see it is not good to mix unrelated conditions in a single profiling attribute. If there is not enough profiling attributes in DocBook for you, I will suggest you to add your own attributes to DocBook DTD which allow you to precisely markup conditional document. You will also need to extend profiling code in stylesheets to handle these new attributes.

       Professional XML training and consultancy services.
DocBook consultancy, stylesheets, schema and editor customizations