Re: [docbook] catalog problem

On Sat, 14 May 2005, Michael Smith wrote:

> What application is giving you that error?

xsltproc

> It may be that your application doesn't actually process SYSTEM
> entries from SGML catalogs. There are applications that don't.
> Emacs/PSGML, for example.

I wouldn't know.  Does xsltproc handle SYSTEM entries?

> In your doc instances, do you also have a public ID for the MathML
> DTD, or just a system ID? I'm guessing that you don't have a
> public ID, because if you did, it would use the PUBLIC entry in
> your catalog instead of the SYSTEM entry (because of the OVERRIDE
> YES line is the catalog).

This is how my XML file looks:

<?xml version='1.0'?>

<!--  If we use MathML: -->
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook MathML Module V1.0//EN"

"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/mathml/1.0/dbmathml.dtd";
[
<!ENTITY PartI SYSTEM "I.xml">
... more stuff
]>
<!--
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"

"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.0/docbookx.dtd";
[
<!ENTITY PartI SYSTEM "I.xml">
... more stuff
]>
-->
... more stuff

So I am using the public URI for dbmathml instead of the one for docbookx,
IIRC because I am using some character entities that docbook proper
doesn't know.

> So if catalog resolution works when you use a public ID but not a
> system ID, it just means your application doesn't handle SYSTEM
> entries in SGML catalogs.
>
> You're running Debian, right? If you look at other catalogs on
> your machine, I think you'll sse that most of them don't have
> SYSTEM entries. I would guess the reason might be because there
> are applications that can't handle them.

I seem to be misunderstanding something here.  I thought that the whole
point of catalog files is to redirect public URI's to files on your
system, so that you do not have to go on-line and get the canonical DTD
in order to process an XML file.  How is the mechanism supposed to work
then?

--

	Tom Peters