Re: flash driver interface improvement

On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 13:46, Mark Salter wrote:

> I don't have a comment about this specific proposal, but I have
> been thinking recently about the current limitations of the
> flash drivers. In addition to the above, the current flash driver
> layer does not support multiple flash regions and it lacks support
> for NAND flash. I am planning on adding these things in the not
> too distant future. If anyone else has other ideas about missing
> feature, I would love to hear them.

A thought I had a long time ago when my board crashed hard (power cycle
required) during flash operations ...

Replacing direct access to memory mapped flash with something like 'int
flash_read(void* dest, size_t length, off_t offset)' might encapsulate
hardware details such as:

        * strange things like paged flashes
        * some chips do not allow any access during sector erase / write
          operations, others allow access to sectors non currently
          involved in a write / erase operation; the driver could handle
          this internally and return an error code like EBUSY when
          approriate.

Robin