Re: mlt - an old topic revisited

Hi Thomas

> I am working with a platform (ARM EB40) for which the memory layout
> depends on jumper settings on the board. It would be quite natural
> to introduce CDL options to adopt the memory layout to those settings,
> but of course this is only possible if the related .ldi and .h files
> are modified to respect those options. It appears to me that manual
> modification of .ldi files has already been done because the file
> mlt_arm_at91_eb40_rom.ldi contains a line
>
> CYG_LABEL_DEFN(__reserved_bootmon) = 0x01000000; . =
> CYG_LABEL_DEFN(__reserved_bootmon) + 0x10000;
>
> and the symbols and constants used there do not resemble anything in
> the .mlt file.

The lines you cite can actually be generated by the memory layout tool
(MLT).

> So here is my question: are we going to see a new MLT program any time
> soon, and if so, will it be flexible enough to handle such cases? Or
> should the idea of a separate MLT program be abandoned in favor of memory
> layout definition via CDL options? I seem to remember that someone once
> suggested this, and it sounds like a good idea to me - configuring all
> aspects of a platform except the memory layout via CDL and then resorting
> to a completly separate tool to deal with this particular topic only
> complicates thing.

We do not have a firm schedule for the implementation of MLT functionality
in the wxWindows configuration tool at present. However, we wish to
maintain consistency in all the MLT-related files to ensure easy transition
to new MLT functionality in the future. It is therefore not appropriate to
add arbitrary code to the .ldi and .h files.

John Dallaway
eCosCentric Limited