Porting question

Hello, I am starting a porting effort to get eCos running on one of our
development platform kits:

http://www.logicpd.com/eps/sharp/devkits/sdk/default.php

using a Sharp LH-75401 core:

http://www.sharpsma.com/sma/products/mcu_soc/LH75401_splash.htm

I want to make sure that I'm designing the package(s) properly, so I'm
looking for a bit of feedback here.  It looks like some of the HAL efforts
ended up combining the CPU and the board support package into one ball of
wax (.../hal/arm/ebsa285, for instance).  Seeing as how the 75401 has a rich
set of on-chip features, I get the feeling that, if I really want to do this
right, I should be breaking things up into a processor layer and a board
support layer.  For example:

../hal/arm/sh75401/common/v2_0/... (which would contain headers and generic
code for the LH-75401)
../hal/arm/sh75401/zoomdevkit/v2_0/... (which would contain headers and code
specific to our Zoom DevKit offering)

Would you say that this is the proper way of doing things, or is taking an
approach similar to the ebsa285 considered okay?

--Gary Parnes

SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER

Logic Product Development
411 Washington Ave. North, Suite 101