Redboot lockups

I am new to eCos and am trying to get setup so that I can write an eCos
application under Linux, to run on the ARM platform. For now, the platform
that I will be using does not exist, so I intend to test some parts of the
application on a PC (i386).

So, I built a Redboot image (i386) under Linux and made a floppy for the PC.
This image will boot fine and respond to either keyboard keys or to input
from the serial port, when running on an old machine (e.g. Gateway 200Mhz
Pentium).

When I run this image on my newer PC (3GHz Pentium 4), Redboot displays its
startup message and prompts, but then appears to lock up. It does not
respond to any keys or serial input.

Prior to this, I ran into problems trying to get a Redboot image running
under MS Virtual PC or VMWare on a single XP machine. At that time, I was
running eCos stuff under cygwin.

The bottom line is... I just want to write an application on my laptop (Dell
M60) under Linux and debug it. If I can do all that on the one laptop,
great. If not, I will attach a second PC via serial cable, but this seems to
be a problem.

I hear there is some kind of virtual machine for eCos under Linux. Is that
true?

I am running Redhat WS V3. Kernel is 2.4.21-15.EL on an i686.

Anyone with any ideas, please respond. Thanks!