Re: bug in RedBoot ELF loader?

Of course - the headers are just that; descriptions of stuff to come
_later_ in the file.  A sane ELF file (files created by GNU ld behave
this way) will have the various section headers first, followed by
the actual program segments.  There is no need for a loader (like
RedBoot which is what started this discussion) to ever load the
headers as part of the image, rather only process them to figure
out what needs to be loaded and where.  For example, a RAM program

I aggree with you on the sanity part. However, I bet that most if not all Linux executables have a segment that include the headers. I assume you are working on a Linux machine. Could you try readelf on ls for example?

Again, it is not that I disaggree with you. It is just that I observe it isn't the way you and I expected it to be.

I suspect the reason that your example doesn't have a segment that includes the headers has something to do with the linker script you wrote to link that program.

Bert