Re: RedBoot built with gcc 3.4.4

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Gary Thomas wrote:

In that case, what I would do is install a working RedBoot
(built with 3.3.2) and then experiment with a RAM version
built with the new tools.  Put in some diag_printf() to
trace the code.  You might even be able to debug this
using the serial connection and GDB (since that does
seem to be alive in your ROM/ROMRAM version)

Well, yeah, looked shortly at this, but RAM build is not supported on this plaform and a quick try wasn't successful.

OTOH, I realised, that I, probably, was wrong about where it crashes. The last messages that I see are from CPU clock switching code. I looked in those disassembled functions - they are VERY different. And I noticed that RedBoot / eCos doesn't specify any ARM version specific options. This toolchain builds kernels just fine, but the kernel does provide a few CPU-specific options. It also compiles user-space applications fine without any options - but that is user-space. So, there might be a problem with some supervisor mode insn. I tried adding "-mapcs-frame -march=armv5te -mtune=xscale -Wa,-mcpu=xscale" to c-flags, it didn't help.

Looking further

Thanks
Guennadi
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.