Re: What is the reason to...

I also think that our views on the issue are affected by which configuration editor we use. If I'm not mistaken, when using the command-line editor you can just "add" the drivers into your configuration, but if you use the GUI configtool, you can't add the packages and must edit "ecos.db" to get these drivers. And then you must manage a non-standard database file when upgrading from CVS.

So people, like me, who tend to use the GUI configtool would have more of a reason to want to see theese drivers included in the target definition.

- Frank Pagliughi

Bart Veer wrote:
    tgabor84> I think it is the same issue CYGPKG_IO_USB and
    tgabor84> CYGPKG_IO_USB_SLAVE, which are also marked as hadware
    tgabor84> packages and not included in the templates.

CYGPKG_IO_USB and CYGPKG_IO_USB_SLAVE are included in the target
definitions for some targets, e.g. assabet, corresponding to the
boards for which slave-side USB first became available. The reasoning
is the same as for SPI and I2C: if the application does not use the
functionality then it gets eliminated at link-time. Again I do not
know if this works properly with more recent drivers. Also, USB is
somewhat more complicated than SPI.

Side issue: please be careful with terminology. A template is a
hardware-independent description of functionality, e.g. "default",
"redboot", or "net". Templates live in separate files below the
templates/ subdirectory of the eCos repository. A target definition
describes a hardware target, i.e. a specific board. Target definitions
live in the ecos.db file. The combination of a target definition and a
template gives an initial configuration.

Bart