Re: #! magic for finding Cygwin Tcl shell

John Dallaway wrote:
> Hi Jifl
>
> Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>
>>> Rather than increase the complexity of the #! magic still further, I
>>> think it now makes sense to revert to a simple "#! /usr/bin/tclsh"
>>> within our Tcl scripts. However, this would break compatibility with old
>>> Cygwin installations providing only tclsh8*.exe or cygtclsh80.exe.
>>>
>>> Any objections?
>> Yes, it may not be in /usr/bin. I don't mind the cygwin-specific cygpath
>> bits being dropped, but I'd still want it to be found from the PATH by some
>> means.
>
> Have you ever encountered a Linux system where tclsh is not accessible
> at /usr/bin/tclsh? Or were you thinking of portability to other
> operating systems?

Portability (or a linux system where tclsh was not installed by the system
owner - not everyone's environment is their own desktop). Command line
stuff needs to work more widely than Linux. tclsh in /usr/local/bin or the
user's home dir or ...

> I note your (old) post to the Cygwin list which implies that
> /usr/bin/tclsh is usual for UNIX-like operating systems:
>
>   http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-02/msg00007.html

That was specific to cygwin where they kept renaming the tclsh executable
for each version.

Jifl
------["Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere"]------       Opinions==mine