Re: lwIP

Hi John and Simon

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 11:44 +0200, Simon Kallweit wrote:

> Anyone interested in my code may have a look at
> http://git.inthemill.ch/?p=ecos.git;a=summary
>
> I think it would be great to update the official lwip port in ecos and
> I'm willing to help where I can.

and John Eigelaar replied:

> I will be more than willing to carry on from Simon's port in order to
> get the sequential part going, as he has made much better progress than
> I have. We almost exclusively use the stack in sequential mode on the
> AT91 SAM7 mcu, so test environments should not be a problem.
>
> Maybe we can get this port in some time soon then.

This looks like an excellent opportunity to demonstrate the benefits of
our free open source development model.

In a perfect world, it would be great to see:

a) Support for all functionality of lwIP 1.3.0 (including ethernet, PPP,
   IPv4, IPv6, raw API, sequential API, BSD socket API)
b) Compatibility with eCos applications using the existing eCos lwIP
   1.1.1 package if possible (API and existing CDL option names
   preserved)
d) Absolutely minimal mangling of the lwIP sources (it should be easy to
   upgrade lwIP again in the future)
e) All lwIP configuration points accessible via CDL options
f) DocBook (.sgml) documentation which describes any eCos-specific
   aspects of the stack and otherwise points to generic lwIP
   documentation
g) Any fixes necessary in the lwIP sources contributed up to the master
   lwIP project for inclusion in the next generic release
h) eCos test cases for all functionality

Of the above, IPv6 is probably the least likely to get covered. Note
that IPv6 requires multicast support (CYGINT_IO_ETH_MULTICAST) in the
eCos ethernet driver. Is there anyone with an IPv6 network to hand who
could put some effort into the IPv6 side? Perhaps on i386 PC hardware
with the RTL8139 or i82559 ethernet drivers which already support
multicasting?

Perhaps the best way forward is for John Eigelaar to take Simon
Kallweit's package, work on the sequential API initially and post his
revised package for review and further work by others. Simon, is the
lwIP package in your repository ready for handoff?

Many thanks to both of you

John Dallaway