Re: NAND technical review

Jonathan Larmour wrote:
Rutger Hofman wrote:
Jonathan Larmour wrote:
On a separate point, while I'm here, I think the use of printf via cyg_nand_global.pf would want tidied up a lot. Some of them seem to be there to mention errors to the user, but without any programmatic treatment of the errors, primarily reporting them to higher layers.

It should also be possible to eliminate the overheads of the printf. Right now there's quite a lot of them, involving function calls, allocation of const string data, and occasionally calculation of arguments, even if the pf function pointer is pointing to an empty null printf function. It should be possible to turn them off entirely, and not be any worse off for it (including error reporting back up to higher layers). It might not be so bad if the strings were a lot shorter, or the printf functions less frequently used, but being able to turn them off entirely would seem better.

I agree. Many of the printfs are leftovers from debugging stages. They should go (and will go anyway at a next code cleanup), and an error should be reported upwards where that isn't done yet; or possibly asserts when they flag a programming error in this layer -- preferences? I will do this somewhere in the coming weeks.

When the dependency on a memory allocator is also gone (see other response), there is no practical obstacle left to switch from explicit initialisation to init-time constructor.

If this makes a difference in acceptance, I will convert from malloc and explicit initialisation somewhere within one month.

Rutger