Re: NAND technical review

> [syndrome]
> So can you just confirm that (E) supports that form of hardware ECC
> implementation?

I've just googled up the outline of syndrome mode (which seems,
incidentally, to be at least a de facto standard term). I don't see any
reason I couldn't fit it in given my current hooks.

> I also note
> with the SAM9260 that the hardware ECC registers get wiped if you start
> to read/write another page, so can you confirm or otherwise that no
> other NAND API user can cause that to happen in (E)?

The standard per-device locking provided by (E) will take care of this. If
there is a risk of concurrent access to other devices causing problems it's
trivial to add a further board-level lock in the driver.

> The SAM9260 also
> requires you to read the entire page data, followed immediately by the
> spare area locations where the ECC is stored. Is that also supportable
> by (E)?

It looks like that's standard for syndrome-type ECC. I think this is just a
funny OOB area layout, though as ever I'd have to try it and see to be sure.

Ross

(PS. BTW, I am still working on that fresh anon-based drop I promised the
other week, but am trying to find out why the benchmarks are so screwy on
the EA LPC2468 before I finish cutting the drop. And - speaking of ECC -
sitting in my pile of queued commits I have a major speed-up in software ECC
calculation...)

--
Embedded Software Engineer, eCosCentric Limited.
Barnwell House, Barnwell Drive, Cambridge CB5 8UU, UK.