FreeBSD TCP/IP stacks update to newer version possible?

Hello everyone,

for a research project our company is aiming to use eCos on the target
hardware. The major requirement is a working IPv6 implementation and
TLS/SSL. In eCos there is a FreeBSD-based TCP/IP stack and an OpenSSL
implementation available.

I see so many changes in the KAME project (FreeBSD IPv6 base) that I
am wondering if the version in eCos is stable enough. Has anyone got a
summary of the changes between 2001 and 2006 where the project
concluded? So we can see if an update is needed or worth doing.

What would the tasks be to update an already ported stack? I would
rate myself as a rookie in the area of network and OS related
programming. But from what I saw in the code it seems like there is an
compatibilty layer (eCos wrapper) provided for easy updates to the
code. Would a copy/paste job and some minor adjustments to the code do
the trick then?

Sincerely,
Max