ECOS Re: ICE support

    Kenneth> Have any ICE vendors indicated support for eCos, probably
    Kenneth> under gdb? I'd want a high-end ICE with real-time trace,
    Kenneth> not just the more-common BDM debugger.

Generally anything related to debugging is a gdb issue rather than an
eCos issue. If gdb already has support for an existing ICE then
debugging an eCos-based application would not be any different than
debugging any other application. If gdb does not yet have support for
a particular ICE then the ICE vendor or the user can add this
themselves, since gdb is of course open source. Alternatively Cygnus
will provide porting services for gdb as we do for our other tools.

When hardware debug support is not available on a given board and
things like breakpoints have to be implemented in software, there is
an overlap between eCos, the gdb target-side stubs, and possibly the
ROM monitor. The exact details will depend on the target processor,
whether the system is configured for ROM or RAM start-up, etc.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer