Re: [ECOS] TCP/IP Stack for eCos

Hi Fred Fierling,

>Is anyone interested in working on an open TCP/IP stack
>for eCos?

I'm certainly interested, but I I don't think eCos is ported to any of the
targets I'm interested in, so my first task is to do or wait for such ports. I
would primarily be interested in using an OS like eCos for network applications,
so it's chicken and egg!

I recently worked on a TCP/IP stack for Hitachi processors using HI-OS (ITRON
based OS), and got quite far developing it on a PC under Windows. The few OS
calls the stack makes were handling by a library which made calls into Windows.
There was no hardware emulation or pre-emptive tasking, but this was not a great
problem. I wrote a PPP driver for it which could have used the PC serial port,
but I ended up using an internal loopback.

I studied various stacks around and although Unix stacks like BSD would be more
robust and mature, if I was picking a free stack I'd take a close look at the
Xinu stack. It has several bugs (which are partly documented), as it has not had
the benefit of widespread support. Assuming you are going to have to read the
RFCs and study other stacks anyway, it at least gives a step up on writing from
scratch.

--
Bob Cousins, Software Engineer.
http://www.lintilla.demon.co.uk/