[ECOS] Library Circularity Question

I ran into something I don't understand while linking a "toy" C++ example as
a sh-elf executable. I am using sh-hms libraries built out of
'ecosSWtools-990319', and targeting the Hitachi EDK7045F development board.

Originally I provided a dummy 'delete' operator to satisfy linkage of a
pro-forma C++ destructor. The problem came up when I tried to find a linkage
sequence which would actually implement some dynamic storage allocation and
deallocation. Linking with "-lgcc"
[from "<tooldir>/lib/gcc-lib/sh-hms/2.9-ecosSWtools-990310/libgcc.a"] left
unresolved symbols; adding a trailing link command "-lc" didn't resolve all;
but adding a _second_ "-lgcc" after "-lc" resolved all symbols:
    $(XLD) $(LDFLAGS) -o $@ ${OBJS} -lgcc -lc -lgcc

Any suggestions what is happening here?

Thanks -

  John Mills, Sr. Software Engineer