Re: MBX MPC860 board Questions

    Jason> Could you tell me: 1) the difference between the cygwin
    Jason> 2.01 download-able from the net and your official cygwin
    Jason> v1.0 product.

This particular question is answered in the cygwin FAQ,
http://www.cygnus.com/cygwin/faq.html#12

  2. How is the Cygwin CD different from previous Cygwin
     betas on your website?

     Cygwin has gone through several years of beta releases, finally
     growing up to an official version 1.0 release.

     1.The boxed Cygwin product includes hundreds of bug fixes
       over Cygwin beta 20.1.
     2.An easy to use installer has been added-- making install a
       snap
     3.The directory structure is more UNIX-like in its layout-- so
       files are easy to find
     4.The compiler has the latest PII optimizations-- so you can
       create the highest performing applications

For more information I suggest posting to the cygwin mailing lists
rather than the eCos ones, see
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/lists.html

    Jason> 2) I read thru the email discussions and often run into
    Jason> reference to files like .."hal/common/current/src/stubrom"
    Jason> could you tell me if that is refering to the GUNPro CD?
    Jason> Now, my question is that if I have cygwin (product or
    Jason> shareware) which has gdb and gcc, can I use GUNPro on WinNT
    Jason> platform instead of on Linux?

There appears to be quite a bit of confusion here.

hal/common/current/src/stubrom is an eCos file. eCos is an embedded
operating system developed by Cygnus. To build eCos for a particular
embedded target such as an ARM PID development board you need a set of
GNU tools. Free versions of these tools can be downloaded from
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ecos/getstart.html, and it is possible to
build and install the tools on NT or on Unix systems such as Linux.
To build the tools under NT you need a cygwin installation, and you
can use either the 1.0 CD or the 20.1 beta.

The GNUPro toolsuite is available through a subscription model, see
http://www.cygnus.com/gnupro. When you purchase a GNUPro CD you get
prebuilt binaries (as opposed to having to build the tools from
source). These binaries will have been extensively tested, and Cygnus
provides support. You can get GNUPro for a variety of hosts including
NT and Linux, and for a variety of target architectures:
http://www.cygnus.com/gnupro/datasheet.pdf

If you need a compiler that runs under NT and generates NT executables
then eCos is not relevant to you. If you are doing embedded
application development then you will need a suitable set of
cross-development tools, either by building them yourself or by
getting a GNUPro subscription. For many embedded applications you will
also want an embedded operating system, and eCos may meet your
specific requirements.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer