Re: failure of "make tests" for Linux synthetic target

Grant Edwards wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 03:50:06AM +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> > Grant Edwards wrote:
> > >
> > > The build of the linux synthetic target for eCOS seemed to go OK, but
> > > when I did a "make tests" it failed because of what appears to be a
> > > linker configuration problem.  I could add bss4 and bss5 sections to
> > > target.ld by hand, but that doesn't sound too kosher.
>
> > Try 'objdump --section-headers install/lib/libtarget.a | grep -10 bss4'
>
> No bss[45] sections ins libtarget.a or vectors.o.
>
> However, extras.o does contain bss[45] sections:
>
> > What versions of the tools are you using? i.e. ' i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -v'.
>
> $ i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.95.1/specs
> gcc version 2.95.1 19990816 (release)
>
> I just build the copiler last week -- I initially tried to use the
> version that came with RH6.0: gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux
> (egcs-1.1.2 release).  But, there were some options used by the ecos
> makefiles that it didn't support.
>
> If this us just something that is due to my using a newer version of
> gcc than was used when the eCOS distribution was set up, then I'll add
> bss[45] sections to the .ld file and assume it's not a problem.

Either that or the binutils (in particular the assembler) you are using is
quite different. I've gone through both the egcs and binutils sources and
can't find where these sections could have come from. The only potential
difference I can think of is that you'll probably be using the binutils
splinter sources from H.J. Lu and the difference is in there, but not in the
binutils mainline.

I would say just add the sections to the linker script by just changing the
*(.bss) to *(.bss*) (and I'll do it in the sources that go to anonCVS), but
it may be interesting if you could ask your question on
binutils@sourceware.cygnus.com.

Jifl
--
Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"I used to have an open mind but || Get yer free open source RTOS's here...