powerpc-eabi-gdb woes (fwd)

(Duh, this never got out to the list - no wonder there
 were no replies.  :P )

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:04:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jamie Guinan <guinan@bluebutton.com>
To: ecos-discuss@bluebutton.com
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  (silly me)
Subject: powerpc-eabi-gdb woes

Hi all,

I'm working with an MBX board, MPC821 @ 40Mhz.

I've run into a few problems with powerpc-eabi-gdb, and
I wanted to see if anyone else has seen similar problems.

1) GDB prints insane values for local variables.  I found
this while debugging a simple program without eCos (GDB is
using the GDB stub in ROM in this case), and without
optimization.

Test case:
http://www.bluebutton.com/ecos-discuss/10-26-1999/test5/Makefile
http://www.bluebutton.com/ecos-discuss/10-26-1999/test5/test5.c

Test session:
$ powerpc-eabi-gdb -b 38400 test5
(gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0
(gdb) load
(gdb) b main
(gdb) cont
Breakpoint 1, main () at test5.c:21
21	  i=90;
(gdb) n
22	  j=99;
(gdb) p i
$1 = 2087191462
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2) I then tried building a program *with* eCos, but I get
what look like GDB protocol errors when trying to print local variables.

Test case:
http://www.bluebutton.com/ecos-discuss/10-26-1999/test6/Makefile
http://www.bluebutton.com/ecos-discuss/10-26-1999/test6/avg3.c
http://www.bluebutton.com/ecos-discuss/10-26-1999/test6/test6.c

Test session:
$ powerpc-eabi-gdb -b 38400 test6
(gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0
(gdb) load
ding section .data, size 0x888 lma 0x39ad8
Start address 0x10100 , load size 172888
Transfer rate: 26096 bits/sec.
(gdb) b main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x124c0: file test6.c, line 10.
(gdb) cont
Continuing.
+++
Breakpoint 1, main () at test6.c:10
10	  a=4;
(gdb) n
11	  b=50;
(gdb) p a
Reply contains invalid hex digit 84
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've repeated this several times, it happens each time.

For this ram-based configuration, I used the following script
to create the target "install" directory,
http://www.bluebutton.com/ecos-discuss/10-26-1999/build-ecos-mbx-ram.sh

The script requires this patch to set up 40Mhz operation and GDB params,
http://www.bluebutton.com/ecos-discuss/10-26-1999/ecos-mbx-ram-pkgconf.patch

Thanks in advance...
-Jamie

Jamie Guinan                         Blue Button Solutions, Inc.
guinan@bluebutton.com                  http://www.bluebutton.com