Re: [Fwd: question about tools]

From: Roman <RomanJordan@gmx.de>

RJ- 3. Is there any eCos for Hitachi SH1 or SH2 available, and how can i
RJ- generate the toolchain?

When I last asked, eCos for SH* was in the "Early Access" program; we
couldn't afford it. That was 7 months ago and it hasn't yet appeared in
public eCos distributions (AFAIK - corrections welcomed).

I built eCosSWtools for 'sh-hms-' with no problems and the basics worked
fine. (I received some comments to the effect of problems with C++
destructors.) In my setup (Hitachi debugger), 'coff' is a much better
format choice than 'elf', but you can try both and see.

The RTEMS project has an SH-* toolset based on gcc-2.95.2/newlib-1.8.2
with Linux RPMs available. I didn't try it for eCos, but you may wish to.

There is an SH-1 port of RTEMS with a demo BSP, and one is developing for
the SH-2. If you are developing in WinNT, eCos is a much better match than
RTEMS, but if you use some flavor of *nix, you might look at both for
functionality, maturity, BSP availability, footprint, etc, depending on
your needs.

Regards,

  John Mills, Sr. Software Engineer
  TGA Technologies, Inc.