Re: Re: gcc/gdb for mpc860

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:07:03 GMT, Bart Veer wrote:

> However gdb needs to
> interact directly with the hardware. This may involve talking with
> some sort of ROM monitor via a serial line, or it may involve special
> debugging hardware such as JTAG, or whatever.

Has anyone successfully gotten gdb to talk to the MPC823FADS? Or gotten
anything to load at all? The Motorola MPC8BUG program provides a
gdbserver, and this sorta works with powerpc-eabi-gdb (under NT4SP3),
but I've yet to run a program successfully. I'm wondering if I'm
fighting differences between the MPC860 and the MPC823? I just want to
get something very basic to run. I tried loading Mot's example
"mmu_lite" using just MPC8BUG and that gets stuck in a memory test fail
condition. However, it uses an "mpc821.h" header which doesn't match
the peripheral layout of the 823 (there's a separately-available
mpc823.h at Mot's site), so perhaps I just have to study the cache and
MMU configuration with a fine-tooth comb to see if there's a difference
that's biting me. I'm pretty sure the hardware is healthy as I can run
the MPC8BUG self tests which test both the debug hardware and memory on
the target.

If anyone's ever run even something very trivial on this platform,
please let me know the trick to make it work.

Kenneth Porter
Kensington Laboratories, Inc.
mailto:kenneth_porter@kensingtonlabs.com
http://www.kensingtonlabs.com