Re: Linux and Ecos

Grant Edwards wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 09:27:33AM -0600, Tim Michals wrote:
>
> > Since Cygnus was bought Redhat, will eCOS exist?  Will all
> > efforts be towards embedded Linux?
>
> I hope not.  eCos and embedded Linux have almost nothing in
> common other than they're both open-source operating systems.
>
> Embedded Linux and and eCos do not compete with each other.

What features does eCos have that Linux does not (besides Real Time
scheduling and code space).
There are real time available features for Linux so I do envisage them
competing for similar markets but not necessarily all markets.  For
example, our company makes rack mount encryption products.  We were
going to use a commercial RTOS which supplies full source code but are
now going to embed Linux.  eCos was discussed but was not chosen due to
the lack of IP stack, SNMP, filesystem, etc.

Brendan Simon.