CDL parent target+options?

is there any way to define targets based on a parent target plus some
different options?

for example, I have a target iq80960rx that points to a hal<...>.cdl
definition for building the flash version of the system and I would like to
define a new target, let's say iq80960rx_ram that does exactly the same
thing, except defines CYG_HAL_STARTUP="RAM" so I end up with the ram version
of the system.

(I know that the configuration tool can be used to fine tune options, but...
it does not run on unix yet, and manually configuring the .ecc file is not
much fun)

-/-/-

more or less related to the above, is there any way to have a better control
on the build process? for instance I would like to add new targets to the
main makefile.

before switching to ecos my previous build tools allowed separate
debug/release targets, and in each case the link phase was doubled,
producing both flash and ram versions from exactly the same object files (I
personally believe it is not a good idea to propagate the ram/flash
information into header files and have the object files built differently;
distinct *.ld files are enough to differentiate the two cases).

any opinions?

regards,

Liviu Ionescu