RE: stub-building

I finally got it working... the gdb stubs did compile (tho the
constraint failures make me nervous. :-)
I had trouble downloading the result tho. It turns out that:
	dl_edb7xxx gdb_module.bin
works just fine. But:
	dl_edb7xxx gdb_module.bin 38400 /dev/ttyS1
doesn't. It hangs after "Downloading boot code... (100%)"
and never gets to printing 'Downloading file data...'.
So something is busted if you need to use something other
than the default port on the PC. It appears that to specify
another port, the baud rate must also be specified.

Which brings up another question, is there any way to run
things at 115KB? I know the board will run at that speed
(from another downloader/stub we have), but Insight will allow
only 57KB as the highest rate (according to the pulldown list).

I'm interested in understanding a bit more about the stub to
try to integrate it with some low-level loader/BIOS code we've
got here for another purpose. Are there any writeups about the
structure of the code? When I build it, I see a bazillion files
scroll past the screen, but many seem related to libraries. Are
there hopefully just a handfull of sources that do all the work?
Thanks!
-Paul Kinzelman

Actually, these should just be warnings of things that the configuration
system has to set via its inference engine.  If you just continue and
execute 'ecosconfig tree' you should get a working tree.

On 25-Apr-00 Paul Kinzelman wrote:
> I'm attempting to build the gdb stub for the edb7xxx configuration.
> However, when I follow the tutorial instructions to do:
>       ecosconfig new edb7xxx stubs
> I get a bunch of constraint failures:
> CYG_HAL_STARTUP== "ROM"
> CYGSEM_HAL_ROM_MONITOR
> CYGDBG_HAL_DEBUG_GDB_INCLUDE_STUBS
> CYGBLD_BUILD_COMMON_GDB_STUBS
> !CYGDBG_HAL_COMMON_INTERRUPTS_SAVE_MINIMUM_CONTEXT
> !CYGDBG_HAL_COMMON_CONTEXT_SAVE_MINIMUM
>
> Is there someplace where I'm supposed to define/undefine these
> settings? I could hack them in, but I figured you had a preferred/magic
> place for them.
>
> I'm interested in putting something else on top of the stub (which
> is why I'm trying to build it), any other pointers you could provide
> me would be greatly appreciated!

What sort of thing do you want to add?  I ask mostly because you may be
going about this the wrong way, depending on your desired end result.