is it successful

Hi,to verify both that a hardware target is properly set up,and that the GDB commands used to connect to the target work properly on my system, connect to the target by issuing the following commands in GDB console mode:(as the document says)
(gdb) set remotebaud 38400
(gdb) set mips-force-32bit-saved-gpregs
(gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0
but I am not sure which target argument I must choose(my target is pc ),so I ignore the second line ,just using :
   (gdb) set remotebaud 38400
   (gdb) target remote /dev/ttyS0

then :
     $ gdb -nw thread_gdb
      (gdb) load
      (gdb) continue

however ,on the target ,only lots of odd characters scroll ,so I do not know whether it is successful or not .
    if it is successful ,what will I do next?

    And I also want to know whether the program result will be print on the host screen or the target screen ,and the above debug can tell us ?
    thanks alot

    olease mails back to lczhang@csrd.org