Re: i386 rom image

    Ranj> Our system is Linux host, i386 target. First application has
    Ranj> been debugged and is working OK. How do we go about making a
    Ranj> rom image (binary, not ELF) file, for using on a programmer?
    Ranj> EPROM will be at 0xD0000. RAM at usual PC location. Do we
    Ranj> have to change target.ld?

As far as I am aware nobody has yet provided ROM bootstrap support for
the i386 port. On ports where ROM bootstrap is provided the
configuration option CYG_HAL_STARTUP lists "ROM" as a legal value, and
this is not the case for i386/PC.

There are two main pieces of work that will be needed. The linker
script will indeed have to be modified, you can have a look at some of
the other HALs to find out what is involved. Some additional
information can be found in the HAL section of the reference guide.
More importantly you will need to worry about the startup code. The
existing startups, RAM and FLOPPY, operate in an environment where
much hardware initialization has already happened courtesy of the
BIOS. For a ROM bootstrap such initialization will have to be done the
hard way, and appropriate code will need to be added the HAL startup.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer